# of divers

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Happy Hoopaversary to Me!

The weekend marked the one year anniversary since I picked up the plastic circle that would forever change the way I see the world.

Photo credit: HoopCity.ca

Many would refer to this object as a hula hoop. A hip, shimmying, plastic-fantastic, twirly-toy that whips about the waist and neck.

Only the plastic circles of today are made from far greater synthetic materials such as, high-density, polyethylene and polypropylene high water pressure pipes. Additionally, they offer an infinite amount of possibility in terms of what you can do with "a circle for kids" now.

Didn't catch the reference?

Well then, I invite you to enjoy this scene about inventing the hula hoop straight out of the Coen Brothers screwball comedy, The Hudsucker Proxy.



Today's hoops are certainly not the hula hoops you played with as a child, and I have to agree with the naysayers who believe that hooping is ridiculous.

They're right.

It's ridiculous good fun, and it's kept me sane and well focused in all areas of my topsy-turvy life for a year now.

Plus it's a brilliant workout! 

Far more fun than running in place to Nowhereville on a treadmill. Blecch.

The doctors used to write me endless prescriptions for Oxcarbazepine, Citalopram, Zolpidem Tartrates, and other unpronouncables to tend to that which ailed me. For I was a sad girl, heartbroken, well on my way to joblessness, and popping pills was to be my saving grace.

All I ever really needed was a hoopstart to find my confidence and passions again. In doing so, I've come to realize that my passions are endless. I'm drawn to drawing, I long to plink away at my 88 piano keys, I'm fascinated with the learning process of artisanal cheesemaking, I fell in love with playing with fire, took to yoga and bellydancing, winemaking, getting my motorcycle license, and I rediscovered my love for the written word.

I also really, really, really love to get my hoop on. 

There doesn't seem to be enough time to do all that there is to do these days.

I'm off of every last one of those multicolored tablets now. Completely drug free, and I plan to stay this way.

I'd like to publicly thank my Hoopmaster teacher Miss Valentina Unity, Queen of the Hoop, at this time for introducing me to a practice that would forever change me as a human being. One that allowed me to dance with a freedom I had never known, to retreat from former boundaries, and to break through approaching barriers.

Photo credit:  Matt Hohlfeld

Thank you Unity, for showing me a skill which has injected a relentless confidence within me, a practice which has allowed me abandon my inhibitions. One which has fiercely stirred up the courage within me to pursue buried passions, find new ones, and to revisit the path leading straight to my dreams.

I'd also like to graciously thank the beautiful humans I've met along the way, for allowing me to become a part of your very beautiful and diversified community.

I've never been more fit, more healthy, more free, more happy, nor more sane.

...and for any naysayers who think that hooping is silly and not a real workout, I encourage you to watch this video of the fierce, Miss Brecken Rivara here to the very end.


This is hooping as we know it today, and trust me when I say it's the most fun you'll ever have burning fat, strengthening muscles, and toning your center core.

It's also the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Photo credit: Heather Van Buren

Photo credit: HoopCity.ca

Photo credit: HoopCity.ca

Photo credit: Sarah Mayer

Whatever moves you,
find it.

Find your bliss, realize your life's full potential, banish your fears, give yourself permission to follow your dreams, abandon self-doubt, find the thing that makes you jump out of bed in the morning, find what it is that makes you feel alive, and love yourself along the way.

Have yet to find your passions?

Give this a go

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.
- Arnold Toynbee

x
         

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...