# of divers

Monday, January 7, 2013

Music and life

I remember the former days of being incarcerated deep within a cubicle land of government employment while excruciating, souless, music played repetitively above.

It echoed throughout the building, bouncing from the hard-tiled corridors, up onto the walls, and then bled into the hallways, seeping throughout. It trickled into the laboratory examination areas, the far corners of the bathrooms, the conference rooms, the staff kitchen.

Nothing was safe from the perfectly, dreadful festival of plainsong.

The music finally made its way to my sacred desk space, the only refuge I had from my five days a week in the mindlessness of corporate normalcy.

Those were times when I saw my days through the wrong end of a telescope.

I never danced, nor sang to that dreadful music. In all fairness, it wasn't music worth singing or dancing to. Instead, I invested in a pair of noise-cancelling headphones, valued at over $300, to silence it. This allowed me to devour the tonal lushness of my own deskside melodies.

More importantly, I was able to avoid the dreadful noise, the daily mutterings of gossip, and the happenings from last night's television sitcom programming from those who liked to phaff and moan. While wonderstruck beneath my headset, I never gave much consideration to the fact that I was quite likely being monitored by CIA data mining bots in my daydreamy world.

At the age of 36, I found myself with two degrees and stuck with a lifeless, corporate job dictated by politics rather than virtue, nor local needs. That I had climbed to the very tip-top of the ladder of success, only to find that my climbing device was propped against the wrong wall, on the wrong building.

I had abandoned my art.
I had denied my happiness.
I had fallen victim to an appointed life formula.

The life prescribed to us can be a vicious cycle, and walking away from the safety net of convention is no simple feat. 

It will however, teach you to sing and dance to the music again.



Will you sing and dance while the music is being played?

x
         

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...